Severe neck pain after sleeping... The causes and how to prevent it
We've all been there. You open your eyes in the morning, twist your head to turn off your alarm only to discover your neck has decided not to cooperate anymore.
Severe neck pain after sleeping... many people suffer from it. There are a lot of causes and just as many solutions. Let’s see if we can help you out a little!
Neck pain is second only to lower back pain as the most common musculoskeletal disorder according to population surveys. So, maybe a small comfort, but you are not alone. Neck pain is very common. It occurs in about one out of three people at least once a year. It is more common in women than in men, and your chance of developing it increases with age.
If you are one out of those three at this moment you must be thinking, that is all very well but what is causing it and how can I get rid of it?
Causes of neck pain
Neck pain has many culprits. The most common reasons are:
- Aging: Unfortunately father time will get us all. While aging, you can wear down joint cartilage (osteoarthritis) and/or the spaces in your spine become narrower (spinal stenosis). This can lead to neck pain as you age.
- Injury: The muscles, ligaments, discs, vertebral joints and nerve roots in the spinal cord of the neck can get injured by sudden movements. The most common here is the whiplash, a sudden forced movement of the neck or head and rebound in the opposite direction. This can cause pain and soreness.
- Mental stress: Stress is a silent killer. Tightening your neck muscles due to tension can lead to neck pain and stiffness.
- Physical strain: Overusing your neck muscles during repetitive actions or strenuous activities can lead to stiffness and pain.
- Conditions that affect spinal balance: Poor posture, overweight and weak abdominal muscles can all affect spine posture and contribute to neck pain.
- Growths: In rare cases, masses including tumors, cysts and bone spurs can cause neck pain.
- Other health conditions: Meningitis, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer.
What you can do at home to relieve severe neck pain
Of course, the cure for neck pain is depending on the cause. If your neck pain interferes with work or other daily activities it is advisable to contact your doctor. Is your neck pain just a pain in your... uh, neck, then you might be helped with some of the following tips:
- Apply a heat or cold pack to the sore part of your neck for 20 minutes day
- Doing gentle stretches or exercises.
- Over-the-counter medication to relieve pain and inflammation such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Get enough rest
- Minimize stress. Walk, meditate, get a massage, try a yoga class, exercise.
- Exercises to strengthen neck and shoulder muscles.
- Change your sleeping position
- Change your pillow
Your sleep position matters
If you are a side or back sleeper, congratulations: These are the best positions to prevent neck pain. Stomach sleepers however get the short end of the stick. When you sleep on your stomach, your neck may be twisted to one side for hours at a time. This can strain your neck muscles, and you might feel sore and stiff in the morning.
ProSleepy has your... neck
Whatever position you like best, be sure to choose a pillow that supports the natural shape of your spine.
- Make sure your pillow isn’t higher under your head than it is under your neck. Straining your muscles even a little during the night can cause soreness by morning. The Original ProSleepy Bamboo Cervical Pillow can help you with this. It is designed to maintain your neck in its natural curve throughout the night and supports you to keep a perfect alignment.
- If you sleep on your side, try putting a pillow between your legs. This can help keep your neck aligned with your spine. The ProSleepy Premium Knee Pillow and the ProSleepy Orthopedic Knee Pillow are designed to help you stay aligned while you sleep and create an ideal body posture.
Eliminating neck pain should not give you a headache as well. Try one of the ProSleepy pillows with a 30 night try out time. If this might not do the trick for you, you are free to return the pillow without any questions asked.